Conncet With Us

Wednesday, February 11, 2015

Degree'd

No comments :



Last year, my senior friends were finishing up their last few credits on campus before they high-tailed it outta there like the roadrunner from Looney Tunes.

A lucky few had jobs lined up.

A few.

A terrifyingly large amount of friends were SOL, remaining at their unpaid internships or finding minimum-wage coffee shop jobs. Even worse, a lot of 'em had to perform one of the most dreaded, yet increasingly common, rituals of college graduation -- moving back home with mom and dad.

That feeling of self-accomplishment from their glorious graduation ceremonies (ya know, the ones with the bright blue gowns and golden tassels, proud relatives and "congratulations!" dinners), couldn't have faded away any quicker.

It makes sense. You move in with the padres. You save money on rent. You stand a better chance at paying off those infamous student loans that were supposed to lead you to a good-paying job in the first place.

This is the current living situation of way too many graduates.

Then there's me. Poor, foolish, little ol' me.

A year ago, I was only a junior. I had a whooole year ahead of me and I thought, That won't be me. I have a strong resume. Good connections. High GPA. A friendly personality. I totally got this job thing under control.

Here I am, senior year, and I'm about to finish my last term of college.

Guess who doesn't have a job yet? This brilliant gal right here!

My hometown is in a whole different region of the United States. If I have to move home, I'll be far away from all the contacts I've made in my industry. Away from all of the best friends I've accumulated these last four years. Away from the tall skyscrapers and the food carts with the $2.50 egg and cheese sandwiches.

I'm starting to discover the truth behind what it means to earn a college degree. This piece of paper that I'm about to acquire is meant to differentiate me from the world. To make people chase after me on the street begging to hire me. To make me worthy of a livable salary. Yet, as graduation nears, I realize that being officially degree'd might be more of a curse than a blessing.

Please join me in my adventures of entering the real world.

Job applications! Senior year stresses! A hopeless love life! The race against having to move back home!

It'll be a good time.

No comments :

Post a Comment